Friday, November 18, 2011

Secrets...

Every day this week I've been reading out of this devotional, pretty uncharacteristic for me, I usually find devotionals to be....cheesy? watered down? a little lame? anyway, no offense to the writers of devos. But anyway, I got one awhile back for like $3 or something. The last part of it has several chapters on "secrets". For instance, today's was on the secret of time. Is there anything harder to give than time? Especially for us in the western world? Good to be reminded and challenged.
But I wanted to write about a secret from a few days back... The secret I keep coming back to. My favorite secret. The secret of violence.

Matt. 11:12 "...the kingdom of heaven suffers violence and the violent take it by force."

"True faith understands not only that God exsists, but that He rewards us according to the intensity of our pursuit of Him."

What do you think it means to be violent in our pursuit of God? I love that term. I think of the "great" men of the bible, or people like Martin Luther, Mother Theresa, David Wilkerson, the underground church in China...
I want to pursue God with violence in my every day, American life. For one thing, like today's chapter, I want to be violent with my time.
"One of the most violent things you'll ever do is wrestle down all the competing elements in your calendar and consistently carve out time to shut yourself into the secret place. The person of violence and wisdom will enact whatever measures are necessary to be alert and engage on a regular basis in this."
I can practice spiritual violence by getting up early to spend time with the Lord. By worshiping in place of that movie, by scheduling in time to pray first, by just listening to the Lord, in so many ways. Most of these have to do with my time but there are other ways too. I need so much help in this! But it's cool to think of these little things as acts of spiritual violence. We are spiritual beings in a spiritual battle. I think we will be surprised one day to find out how many little battles were won in our day to day, seemingly insignificant decisions.
I believe that sometime in my life the ease and comfort I have now will not exist. I want to start practicing spiritual violence now, in little ways, when no one else knows or sees. To make it a habit in secret. Maybe one day it will be obvious, like the persecuted believers in China and other nations. Maybe it will always be in secret...

But my Father sees in secret. Matt. 6:6

Sometimes I think it's the secret things that bring Him the most joy. So, here's my challenge to you and to myself: do something secretly violent today.

And know that the Father sees. He looks and He goes, "Oh! That one just captured My heart again. She is so beautiful. See how she loves Me in secret!!"

I love you all.
LM

5 comments:

  1. First of all, thank you SO much for starting up this blog. I have a great deal of respect for you and your brothers, and am really excited to get some wisdom from you. I place a high value on women teaching other women, like sisters....like the title of this blog. Awesome.

    I read through this entry as I sit here with my Bible open and my notebook open, but instead I am on my computer. I have been fighting in my weak strength to make that time for God in my everyday life. But I have not been violent about it. I have not treated it with the significance it deserves. I have been convicted about this recently, but this post put it into such blunt terms to me. I have been walking through life casually, while God is sitting here waiting to teach me so much. I just need to allow Him to.

    So as soon as I post this, I'm getting off of my computer and digging into the Word.

    Thank you so much again for starting up this blog. I can't wait to see what else you have to share!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Katie,
    I love your heart! You are being violent in your weakness- just the DESIRE to follow Jesus is spiritual violence! Keep on fighting. When the Lord speaks to your heart, it's worth all of the struggle.
    Something that really helps me is to be accountable, try and find a couple girlfriends to check in on you and vice versa on spending time with the Lord. We are supposed to keep each other in line! Pr. 27:17

    Jesus, I pray You will touch Katie's heart with a violent hunger to spend time with You, a lovesickness that consumes her! Thank You, Lord! Amen.

    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for responding to this! Thank you for your prayer! In case you happen to read this, I'll give you an update. I started studying through Hosea the night I read this post. I'm only part of thr way through the 4th chapter but God has been revealing SO much to me. Hes showing me more and more the parallels between a relationship with Him and a marital relationship. Obviously there is a lot of that in Song of Songs, but that is more of the lovecall. God is showing me so much about how we mistreat our relationship with Him, about how we cheat on Him constantly and He loves us through it and wants us wholly.

    I could go on and on but I'll stop there. Thank you so much for your encouragement. You really are touching lives, both through your music and your ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Hosea. Isaiah tells the story too- how a whole nation was married to the Lord and turned away to idols and immorality. The Lord divoraced Israel but again and again woos her back and takes her in.
    Song of Songs is brilliant- the journey of the baby christian to mature bride. I haven't studied it a lot, I really want to get into it though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this post! I am coming out of a period of struggle in my life mentally, physically, but especially spiritually. Violently pursuing the Lord is something I've struggled with my entire life as a Christian and this has been a good reminder what my first priority should be. Thank you for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete