Thursday, November 15, 2012

Follow the Star

Dear sisters,
  Apologies for the long absence of writing... I've been learning so many lessons over the past several weeks and sometimes it feels too overwhelming to even share them all!
  Lessons, especially hard ones are so good.
  
So lesson #1: Follow the Star.
We wrote a christmas song last month. Our manager emailed that we were booking a christmas run and could we swing by his place on our current tour and record a song to promote it. Well, my run-outside-the-pack brother D. said doing a cover was a no go. For sure. So I was like, okay just write one then. 2 days later, we had a christmas song. I'm thinking we should write our next album in 2 days. It may turn out pretty nice...
  A couple weeks later was the elections. The day after, I was sitting in my room, overwhelmed with heaviness. Feeling sadness and worry over my beloved country, also frustration over voting fraud and knowing there were hundreds of military votes that will probably never be counted. My heart ached. I felt so lost.
  Later that day we were practicing our song. It's called Follow the Star, it's not really about the wise men, per se, but that's the christmas image used. It talks about wandering in the darkness, being lost in the desert... and when you can't see anything else- there's always a star in the sky. It's God, truth, scripture, prayer... any one of those things. All I have to do is follow the star.
  I can release my country, it's leaders, the government, fraud, unfairness, injustice, into God's hands. When I can't do anything, I can follow the star.

Lesson #2: Humility.
WOW. That's a hard one. I have only just started this journey and I think it's gonna go on for my whole life. So all I will say about it for now is what the Lord told me last night, right before the show. He said, "I am teaching you to play for Me alone." And my interpretation was, no matter what the crowd size or however I "rate" the success of a show, my fulfillment and success must be found in God alone. No big, amazing experience is ever going to make me happy. And no horrible, dark, dirty, bad event should be able to steal my joy.

There's more lessons... but we're up next, and I gotta get my show shirt on!

Keep runnin'!

LM

No comments:

Post a Comment