Saturday, March 30, 2013

Blood, sweat and joy.

  "So I wash my robes in the blood of the Lamb
    I am dead to sin, come alive again."

Washing our robes in the blood of the Lamb is a symbolic act, since we don't really have any of the actual blood of Jesus around for common use- what it means is basically we tell Jesus (in our hearts or out loud), "I believe You really lived, really died and Your blood is really enough to cover my sins. I receive that."

After that we are dead to sin. That prayer, whether you prayed it when you were 5 or 50, sealed the deal with God. You are now dead to sin.

This is where a lot of us (myself included) get hung up. Because we assume it means we will be dead to all our fleshly desires. And that's obviously not the case! So we are tempted and sometimes we fail. Then comes the guilt... How could I have done that? I am a horrible christian! Lord, if you will just forgive me this time I will try so much harder! I will try to live right and not sin! Forgive me!

This is where we commit grave error. We are trusting in our own righteousness. It may not seem like it because we are thinking about our failure, but also promising we will do better. This is a direct insult to the blood of the Jesus. 

Jesus died once. That blood was enough, is enough and will always be enough. EVERY SINGLE DAY OF YOUR LIFE. DONE.

But here we are on this cursed earth, trapped in our fleshly  desires, and bombarded with temptation from the evil one. We are painfully aware of this every day! So how are we "dead to sin"??

Jesus died to take away our guit and shame. (those words ring a bell anyone?) God doesn't want us to be distracted for a moment by guilt because of our sin. So He dealt with it once, 100%. Now we can always talk to Him, hang out with Him, be happy around Him and love Him. Without any fear or bad feelings. Ever. Even when we just sinned.

When you feel so bad about yourself that you can't think about God until you've been "good" for awhile; or "make up for what you've done"; or if you just can't hang out with God and be happy- it's guilt. It's not you, it's the enemy. It feels like you, and it feels so right to feel bad. After all- you did something bad, right? 

Here's the deal, when we sin it's so tempting to feel bad for awhile ("because I deserve it!"). DON'T DO IT. Think about the blood. Really, picture what the cross looked like in your mind (it's powerful). Then believe, so strongly, in the power of that blood that you never feel bad. That's the point! Jesus went thru the horrible crucifixion so that you and I will never have to feel bad ever again. 

Then smile. Say it out loud if it helps, "I know Your blood is strong enough to cover this sin. I am free and I love You!!" That's it. That's what He wants from you. To just be happy and love Him. Cause He's happy and He loves you. All the time. Every day.

With no nasty guilt or shame gettin' in the way.

Keep runnin!
LM

p.s. If you are struggling with habitual sin- i.e. not just once but continually living in and planning to sin WITHOUT sincere desire to change, YOU MUST LEAVE SIN BEHIND. It's HARD. But once you have repented and decide to stop, even when you mess up- there's NO more feeling bad! AT ALL. There is only love. (Can I get an amen??)

No comments:

Post a Comment