Monday, September 2, 2013

Because HE is good.


"Mrs. Wilson doesn't give us cookies cause we're nice. We get cookies cause Mrs. Wilson is nice!"
                                                                                 ~Dennis the Menace

I love this quote. Is it odd that one of my favorite quotes is by a comic strip character? Who's like 5? No shame. Kids say the most profound things in their simplicity.


God doesn't love us because we're good. Like Dennis, we are not good! God loves us because He is good.

  This is so important to remember in our day to day, in the mundane, non-exciting, daily grind part of life. When we've been slacking off in our prayer/devos (I know the "Psalm a day" cop out or the "5 minute daily devotional" - let me tell you, you don't get deep revelation from the Holy Spirit in 5 minutes a day!) Or when we've been so busy or distracted that we haven't even thought about God all day.

Then something bad happens to us. We cry out to God for heeeelp! But wait, I don't have a very good track record today, I haven't built up my faith points - can I really pull the "rescue me!" card?

Let me tell you what faith is. Part of faith is that when we mess up royally, we run to God to fix it. Because we know in our hearts that He's the only one who can make right our wrong.

God doesn't come to our rescue because we've been reading our bibles and praying 2 hrs a day for a week and have a good track record. God comes to us in our weakness and pulls us out of the mud of our blunders because He is good. 

(Now, I'm not knockin 2 hrs a day with the Lord - that's how we get the revelation!!)

      In Psalm 31:1 David writes, "Deliver me in Your righteousness."
     And in vs 16, "Save me for Your mercy's sake."

Take advantage of the truth that GOD IS GOOD. Cry out to His righteousness and mercy. As a child of God you have a trust fund of love that never runs out and is accessible at all times! You don't even have to have a good credit rating.

Keep believing He loves you.
Keep fighting!

LM

1 comment: